About Big Island FCU
In 1936, a group of teachers formed the Big Island Teachers Federal Credit Union. It was the first chartered credit union in the State of Hawaii. In January of 1973, our name was changed to the Big Island Educational Employees Federal Credit Union. Later that year, the word “Employees” was eliminated and we became known as the Big Island Educational Federal Credit Union.
Prior to the end of the century, we received NCUA approval to change from an occupational-based to a community credit union with an island-wide charter, and in 2001, we became the Big Island Federal Credit Union.